Thursday, June 2, 2011

Our Vacation to Savannah Part One - The Drive

Now, I might be slightly crazy at times, but I thought that I might have really lost it when I decided we would drive down to Savannah (again!).  We did this drive 7 years ago when the kids were much younger and my thought now was "well, they are older.....". Oh boy, the way my brain thinks!

We left at 3:00 a.m.. The van was loaded the night before with everything except for the cooler and the family.  That was the easy part.  Next was the driving.  My husband started and my thought was that the kids would fall back asleep for a while. No, that's not what happened.  The excitement started and never ended for the entire trip.  By 5 my daughter wanted to start her schoolwork, even though it was still dark outside.  I managed to hold her off until 6.  My oldest son wanted to sleep but his younger brother kept waking him up because he couldn't seem to stop talking. 

We were pointing out a lot of the landmarks and making sure we let the kids know what state we were in.  And there were a lot of them!  We managed to go through New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.  I was the lucky one to drive through Maryland, part of Virginia, South Carolina and Georgia. 

Snacks were a definite on this trip along with lots of drinks.  Lunch was eaten at a rest stop at a picnic table and consisted of sandwiches, fruit, pudding and more drinks.  Dinner was at Arby's and everything was from the dollar menu. 

The only other glitch we had was that when we went to turn on the A/C in the warmer states, we discovered that it wasn't working.  Uh-Oh, definite issue when the temps are up in the 90's and 100's! 

Our arrival at our destination was at 8:00 p.m.. A wonderful 17 hours of driving and spending time with my crew and we all survived!  It wasn't as bad as I thought and yes, I would do it all again, eventually........

Stay tuned for the next part of this series............................

No comments:

Post a Comment